Monday, February 21, 2005

Career change coming

I'm excited about a possible career change coming down the pike. I've been a pencil-necked accounting geek for 20 years now and I'm ready to give up the debits and credits.

The first 10 years were pretty good, starting off working for one of the large CPA firms for several years followed by several years working for a software development company. In between those two jobs were growing pain years spent in retail (1 year), waste management (5 months), and a company too weird to describe (2+ years).

Since that time, my career has faltered. It's been a combination of some bad choices on my part and situations beyond my control. In the last 10 years I've worked for 5 different companies. I've been fired once, quit once, and I've been laid off three times. I've been on unemployment three different times. I've had several periods totaling well over one year when I haven't worked at all. I've done temp work several times for months at a time during the last 10 years. This chain of events has really soured my outlook towards my accounting career. I've probably haven't looked as hard in my current search as I normally would have because I've been afraid I'll find myself in another dead end job, laid off and looking for a new position within a year or two.

The good news is that this may all change very soon. I'm currently going through the interview process with an accounting recruiting/placement firm. I cleared the first hurdles on Thursday and Friday with a phone interview on Thursday and an in-office interview on Friday. I go back on Wednesday of this week for some more stuff. The interview/hiring process should be done in about a week. So if all goes well, I could be on the payroll by the first of March.

So I it looks like the unknown pundit is going to hang up his spread sheets and become a salesman. A friend of mine says being in the revenue stream is where it is at in business. He's already been there a few years. I can hardly wait to join him.

1 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger wellreadwoman said...

I really, really hope this works out for you!! Unknownpundit I think you deserve a break!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home