Thursday, February 24, 2005

Me and the Oscars

Mystery novelist and screenwriter Roger L. Simon comments on NY Times columnist Frank Rich's latest screed. Mr. Rich, brilliant logician that he is, blames President Bush and blue nosed Republicans for the decline in Oscar viewership (FCC problems don't ya know). Of course, Mr. Rich tends to blame anything wrong in the world, as he sees it, on Republicans and conservatives. I think Mr. Simon and the rest (the comments to his post) get it pretty much right.

As for me, I stopped watching the Oscars years ago for basically two reasons.

The first reason is that I can't stand looking at some of the garbs these men and women wear to these events. Don't these people own a mirror? Ugly gowns and dresses for the women and ugly jackets, shirts and slacks for the men. And don't get me started on some of the hairstyles. I look at these "beautiful people" and all I can think of is the old story about the Emporer's New Clothes.

The second and main reason I don't watch (or care about, for that matter) the Oscars is that Hollywood is too politicized. For the last 30 years or so Hollywood has prided itself on making "important" movies. In order to be considered for an Oscar, the movie usually needs to be "important". For a movie to be "important" in Hollywood, it has to take a Left-wing world view on things. So most of the movies that get considered for Oscars tend to be movies that I find appalling from a socio-political perspective. The "important" movies are, for the most part, decidedly Left-wing, made by people that are themselves, for the most part, decidely Left-wing. There are exceptions, to be sure, but by and large these "important" movies make me ill and leave me with a cold feeling.

I'd rather watch the Cartoon Network. The Family Guy is a riot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home